Friday, October 20, 2006

Re: Why the live-by-a-shoestring route?

Original question:
Ted, word on the street says after school you're thinking about moving to a random country so you can live paycheck to paycheck in a job that doesn't align with your skillset.

Sounds like a fun idea, one that I've considered myself a few times - but I've never considered the benefits to outweigh the costs so I'm curious. Why the live-by-a-shoestring route?
Note: Word spreads with alterations. My initial expressed idea intended to involve someplace in the country, where language would not be an issue. Also, the hope would be that the job would align with my skillset, but I would be ready to take up any job that would help me get by.

Shorter Answer:
Because it will be exciting and fun.

Longer Answer:
Several things contributed to the idea: I have never lived outside of Ann Arbor. I have been a student my entire life. I enjoy adventure. Each of these items also imply additional relevant details. Because I have never lived outside of Ann Arbor, not only do I have no experience living in different locations, city sizes and accompanying cultures&societies, I also have no experience living away from family, familiar and comfortable friends, people, and places. Someplace new may prove to be interesting and exciting in ways that I cannot predict from my current set of experiences.

Having always been a student,
my greatest responsibilities rarely extended beyond the academy. I've never worked to pay for rent, food, and all other bills. I would like to take up those responsibilities and be more independent, and thus have greater flexibility in taking my life wherever I would like to. I always like trying new things. Starting anew in an unfamiliar location will surely be adventurous and require resourcefulness, a skill that I love developing and applying. Also, given my educational focus and degree, finding a solid high-paying job that I can shape my life around is unlikely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if starting a green roofing project in a new city would be a workable plan.

http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=majora_carter&flashEnabled=1

Would need to be an urban area in order to be profitable, though. Gives the opportunity to network with a lot of business\building owners, and refine skills in project management\team coordination. Maybe an option.

10/20/06, 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home